Sparkz Inc., is looking to hire a Chemical Process Engineer at their Tennessee location. Posted July, 18 2022.
Sparkz is looking for a knowledgeable and dedicated Chemical Process Engineer to support our growing in-house battery research and development (R&D) team. As the primary person responsible for the synthesis and characterization of lithium-ion battery materials, in particular cathode active materials, at Sparkz’s Knoxville, TN location, you will play an important role. This is a critical position in our organization; you will be responsible for designing and developing processes for transforming raw materials into final active materials.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Synthesize cathode active materials at the kilogram level for use in lithium-ion batteries, with particular attention to characterization of each batch to ensure quality and reproducibility.
- Lead in performance of some material characterization within the Knoxville facility and work with partnering institutions to perform other material characterizations.
- Analyze data from material characterization.
- Work with the R&D team to develop and implement novel synthesis strategies to improve material quality, reduce synthesis cost, and/or reduce synthesis time.
- Train technicians on use of reactors and other processing equipment needed to produce cathode active materials at the kilogram level.
- Assist in establishing safety infrastructure and protocols for cathode active material synthesis.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or another relevant field is preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in a chemical processing environment; experience in battery material synthesis is beneficial, though not required.
- Experience in operating and maintaining chemical processing equipment.
- Strict adherence to safety protocols and willingness to promote a culture of lab safety.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Strong leadership, communication, strategic thinking, organizational, and analytical skills.